hand block printed textiles by galbraith & paul

Monday, December 5, 2011

We couldn't stay away. Beth & I made the trek again into Manayunk, PA for Galbraith and Paul's annual sample sale on Saturday. I swore I'd never come back to Manayunk after getting 2 parking tickets in one day last time, but I was so bummed-out that my camera didn't work then, that I was able to be persuaded. I just am so heartened to see a handmade business thriving right here in the USA and on this scale. People fly in for this sale. The fabric is highly sought-after. I'm sure they've felt the pressure to get the price down by taking production off-shore, but so far the fabrics are all made here.
It was the usual feeding frenzy with the piles of pillows and the "by the pound" scrap table seeing a lot of action. I was tempted to start a new decorating project, but I only just finished the padded headboard  using the smokebush printed linen I bought here last year.
Originally, Galbraith & Paul were known for their handmade paper lampshades. Now the lampshades are fabric. Room and Board carries the pillows & lampshades. They have also ventured into rugs and wallpaper.
 So mod- so fab!
A complicated pattern like this takes either multiple blocks and/or requires hand painting more than one color on a block. It requires skilled artisans to execute.
These are some of the "blocks".
The ink is applied with these little rollers.
Just like at the paint store!

My friend Beth's new best friend: Liz Galbraith. Mr Paul was working the register. Even Liz's little boys were helping customers.
A glimpse of future designs on the pin-up board in Liz's studio. The loveliness continues...

5 comments:

elizabeth said...

Just found your blog and LOVE it....your designs are beautiful!

Becky said...

That's a big complement coming from you... I just looked at all the wonderful tutorials on your blog ;)

Melanie Johnson said...

Love your blog. I have hand block printed fabrics here in the uk. Not such a big story here... yet! Great to see whats out there.
Mel x
www.melathome.com

The 5 Bickies said...

I went to this sale for the first time in December and loved it! Digging through the piles of fabric and oohing and aahing over the gorgeous pillows. I even got one of the rugs. Liz and her sons couldn't have been nicer. I love it and am so thrilled to have it in my living room!

Becky said...

Wow! You got a rug~ I'm jealous!

Post a Comment