card table makeover

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Have you noticed card tables have the same problem that office chairs do? They seem to only come in boring colors like taupe, grey, or almond. That, and they get shabby rather quickly. At least in our house they do...
Um, yeah, I let the kids trash this one with paint and I may have exactoed some stuff on it without any protection. Then I stored it in the basement before we got the dehumidifier and it got all moldy. I'm sorry, Table. I'll make it up to you.
The top is attached to the frame by brackets and screws that come apart easily with a phillips head screwdriver. Don't lose the screws- put them in a baggie or something. Pry up the staples holding on the vinyl and remove it, never to be seen again.
You don't have to, but I decided to liven up the legs with 2 coats of Rustoleum spray paint in my favorite color: apple green! I figured, I'd do that since we're planning to use it as a puzzle-making table and will need the top to be white *yawn*.
I'm attaching marine vinyl with my trusty staple gun for the new cover. It only takes about a yard, just measure your table to be sure. Actually this would be a great project to use Mexican oilcloth or laminated cotton for like Jen of Lars & Ella did here. If I can get my hands on another table or two or three, I just might make a fleet of party tables with colorful patterned tops.
Last step: screw the top back on.
VoilĂ ! Back in service as an exceedingly useful extra table!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never thought of painting the legs of a card table. What a refreshing idea! I think it might be a cost saving idea for my fellow artists to give Touchstone Gallery's metal folding chairs a makeover before we haul them down to our new gallery space at 901 NY Ave.NW, in Washington DC! Old becomes new again. Bright and fresh. www.touchstonegallery.com Rosemary

Post a Comment