in love with japanese patterns, continued...

Saturday, December 19, 2009

After a couple of glitches with my machinery, I finally finished the dress project I started here. The fabric I chose is a 100% cotton gingham from my shopping trip to the NYC garment district. Before assembling the dress, I applied the applique pieces to the front, just like I did on my pillow project a while back, using Heat 'n' Bond iron-on adhesive. For the stems of the roses, I used grosgrain ribbon and heat sealed the edges with my new hot knife so they won't fray. The material for the roses was cut from one of the thrift store shirts I've been collecting. I liked the watermelon color and the tiny print.
Since the gingham is so lightweight, I used a  tear-away stabilizer on the back while I sewed the blanket stitch edging. 
My new Babylock machine did a fine job on the blanket stitch, and there was no bunching thanks to the stabilizer. It didn't completely tear off, which I guess is normal, so I decided to line the whole thing in cotton lawn to cover and protect the back side of the work. I actually like the lawn lining. It elevates the piece to heirloom-quality and extends the seasons it can be worn. I'm envisioning it with a turtleneck and leggings for Valentine's Day.

Next, the pocket. I've always found making round pockets smooth around the edge a trick to do at home, so I took a cue from what I'd seen done in a sample room once. I traced the pocket pattern, minus the seam allowances, onto some manila hard pattern paper (like the folders).
I cut out the shape and used it as a guide to press the seam allowance against. Then I basted the pocket into place, so it wouldn't shift during sewing.
Presto! A perfect round pocket. I'm loving the elastic at the top of this one. The Japanese pattern directions don't specify the lengths of elastic needed for any of the parts (that I could read anyway), so I just guessed for the pocket, sleeves, and neck.
Finally, an excuse to put a label in something! Only 999 more garments to go!
And it's done! Consider this a sneak peek into my etsy store, chirp & bloom, coming in January...

3 comments:

maria said...

Gorgeous!!! I love the applique and the elastic touches.

Jenny Nelson said...

Oh, look at that. Now I've got to have a baby girl...

cynthia said...

I love the dress...is is so sweet and pretty. And very cool to see how you did it all. Also just read your new post about Diana and the book and exhibit. How incredible to see that dress in person! I woke up at 4 in the morning (or whatever) to watch that wedding!

Post a Comment